Wednesday, January 16, 2008

12 years and counting!

Hard to believe that I've been in the Nieuwhof clan for 12 years now. We celebrated our 12th anniversary on January 13th. We had a wonderful family day together. I had been teasing Marten that I would love another trip (we had taken a cruise for our 10th anniverary). We had never been to the east end of the island so Marten suggested a road trip. It was really nice. We took the long way there. We checked out Wood Islands, then Montague, through Souris and finally arrived at the East Point Lighthouse. The kids were grateful to get out of the car but it didn't last long. It was so cold. We rushed back to the car to warm up. I did manage to get these pictures but I'm shooting myself that I didn't give the camera to Nicolle to get a shot of Marten and myself. Oh well. The sight of the windmills was impressive. The picture does NOT show how BIG they are. As we were driving home, we were driving into the sunset. Awwww... how romantic. There was a cloud that looked like a sideways heart. It had a line through it like an arrow (I think it was from a plane.) I regret not getting a picture of that as well. I teased Marten that he was so romantic to put that in the sky for our anniversary. He laughingly said that he had prayed for two hours for that one. :) We arrived back in Charlottetown at supper time so Marten took us all to East Side Mario's (notice the 'east' theme for the day, hee hee). The kids were exhausted from the 'big' trip and went to bed as soon as we got home. And even though they weren't too thrilled with being in the car all day, we really enjoyed the trip and spending time together.


Love to all, Karen

A note to my nieces: we have had our fireplace for 2 years now. It was tucked in the corner between the two couches. We bought it for extra heating because I was always cold in our livingroom. Even though the heat was nice, you could never see the fire when you were seated. I'm glad that it's in a place where we can see it now.

12 comments:

sugarnuggets said...

What a fun date! We love family dates around here. The kids like to come along occasionally but it quickly gets too smootchie for them. So the next time we usually go alone.

Nice living room, and how great to have a PORTABLE fireplace, much more versatile than one that has a chimney! I think I need to get me one of those!

Love ya, Tetcy

The Nieuwhofs said...

It looked cold in the picture of East Point. Glad you made the effort to go together as a family. It is one of those treasures you look back on later in life. Remember when............?
Love, Randall

Matt n Amanda said...

That sounds like oodles of fun! What a nice way to celebrate a special day. Im sure even though tbe kids couldnt wait to get out of the car..they really did love spending time with you guys. Can never get enough of that. Have a super weekend!
Love Amanda

Dianna said...

So now I guess its my turn to say..."can't wait till the kids are a little older so we can do that sort of thing together."
Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you guys hada great time. You took some really beautiful pictures too! and thanks for letting me in the "know" about that fireplace of yours! Love always..Dianna

Tineke Aaron and Cassie said...

Hey happy anniversary, i said that to Marten but since we haven't chatted, I'm telling it to you as well.
See you sunday.
Love Tineke.

rustico3059 said...

Belated congratulations on you wedding anniversary. We were glad you came along at the time to make Marten happy. Something to be thankful for, that's for sure.
Have a great week.
Love Elisabeth

Mary and Isaac said...

Hahhaa... I feel silly that I never noticed the fireplace in the last 2 years. Maybe in the back of my mind I do... but not really. I suppose it sorta makes sense cuz I've been away for such a long time at Calvin already, and when I was home, I wasn't at your place too often.
Sounds like you guys had a really fun date. I should blog about my birthday. I have to clean up supper dishes now, but perhaps tomorrow night or Saturday morning I can get to it. Love you!!
~ Mary

Mary and Isaac said...

tell Nicolle I say 'Happpy Birthday!" How old is the birthday girl now?

Mary and Isaac said...

tell Nicolle I say 'Happpy Birthday!" How old is the birthday girl now?

Mary and Isaac said...

tell Nicolle I say 'Happpy Birthday!" How old is the birthday girl now?

Mary and Isaac said...

tell Nicolle I say 'Happpy Birthday!" How old is the birthday girl now?

Mary and Isaac said...

Oops... computer glitch I think :P well, I've said it 4 times now, that's pretty special :)