Monday, April 21, 2008

We told the kids about Disney!

Hi everyone! Most of you know by now that we have been planning a trip to Disney World for the last couple of months. We're going with Klaas, Alice and kids. We're not going til February 2009 so we've been keeping it a secret from the children since it's such a long time away. However, Julie had to be informed to make allowances with her UPEI classes. Since she knew, we thought we'd better tell the rest. I was so excited. We all gathered together yesterday and told the kids that we had a secret and they had to ask questions to find out what it was. We could only answer with 'yes' or 'no'. It took them awhile, but Andrew figured it out. They were pretty excited. Jason didn't have the reaction I would have thought. Later that night, while tucking him in bed, I found out that he was nervous to go because of all the talk about the rollarcoasters. I assured him that the two of us would do something else while everyone else was on the rollarcoasters. He's much happier now. Me too. A good excuse so I don't have to go on them. Phew!
It was Klaas and Alice's 18th wedding anniversary yesterday so they went to Moncton for the weekend. We had Julie and Andrew here. It was great fun. We watched I AM LEGEND on friday night -- creepy. Marten and David went to the car show in Moncton on Saturday and they took David's boy, Oliver, and Jason and Andrew. Julie was at work so it was just me and Nicolle for the day. Sunday was my mother's 83rd birthday. We shared some chinese food and cake and gave her presents after church. Then we headed back here to share the news about Disney.
I was giving Marten a hard time -- Klaas and Alice went away together, Randall and Elisabeth went away together and... Marten and David went away together. Sigh. Is there no romance in that boy?!?!? :) Well, I think he feels guilty because he informed me that Alice will look after the kids next Friday night and we're going to Moncton. How fun. But what will we do? I don't want to go all the way to Moncton to go and see a movie. I have nothing I want to shop for. What else is there to do in Moncton? Any suggestions? I'm sure we'll still have fun. It'll be nice to get away and just be with Marten.
Oh, and just to keep you updated... Nicolle did not make the badminton team. Awwwww. She was a little sad but happy that she had tried out. I was proud of her for trying.
I did get one call last week from the school regarding Jason. Don't worry, it wasn't an accident! He was supposed to get off the bus at Taylor's house and I forgot to send a note and the boys were panicing because they wouldn't allow Jason to go. Rose phoned to confirm their story. Ooops! He got to go and Nicolle and I went to town and bought her some much needed summer clothes. We had a great time. A girl's night out!
I have found my flower beds. The snow is now official melted off of them. We still have some in the yard but not on the beds and now the flowers have a chance to peek up. Nothing yet but we're always 1-2 weeks behind Alice and Elisabeth. I'll have to get out there this week and take away all the dead leaves and branches, etc. I hope we're going to have some nice weather.
Thanks for checking in on me. I know I don't write as faithfully as some of you but I love to read your blogs and you get to hear from me through those comments. :) I just love hearing from you all. I'll look forward to that. I think of you all lots with much love ... Karen.

5 comments:

Matt n Amanda said...

I'm not sure what there is to do in Moncton either. I guess I would aim for a nice dinner out and walk by fundy park. I'm not sure what else you could do, but I'm sure the break from the kids will be nice.
It sounds like things are going well over there. I really enjoyed reading your blog. Even though it might seem boring to you. I can imagine everything that is happening and It's nice to read about something relavant and normal.
Thanks so much for your encouraging words.. you're great!
Love ya!
Amanda

sugarnuggets said...

You should have the kind of date Matt and Amanda had to "celebrate"...that sounded like fun! Make sure you take your cell phone...or just pretend and use your iPod....

Tetcy

The Nieuwhofs said...

Great advice in the first two comments. Since we were just in Moncton, I would say Crystal Palace was a big hit. There is a Chapters next door as well. And if you want to watch a movie, well it is all under one roof. Make sure you take time out for a nice romantic dinner for two. Mc Guinness Landing, also in the same building, has great food. You'll love it. At least, that worked well for us, even with the kids.
Hope you guys have a great time.
Did the kids say any more about Disney World? It will sink in more, the closer it gets.
Hope you get many comments. Randall.

Dianna said...

wow. sounds like you all are pretty bust these days! I dont really have any suggestions for you about Moncton..obviously,its been a while for me :) thing here are peachy and if I am allowed to by my little man, I am going to make an attempt to update my blog. Sounds like the kids are going to have a ball! Are you driving or flying? Take care! Love Dianna

Dianna said...

wow. sounds like you all are pretty bust these days! I dont really have any suggestions for you about Moncton..obviously,its been a while for me :) thing here are peachy and if I am allowed to by my little man, I am going to make an attempt to update my blog. Sounds like the kids are going to have a ball! Are you driving or flying? Take care! Love Dianna