Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Canada Day!

Hope you all had a great 'mini vacation' on Canada Day! We had a real great family day. It started off with a sleep-in. Sigh, gotta love that! Mmmmm, I love my bed. :) Then we got in the Camaro and headed to Cap Egmont where the bottle houses are. So neat! It's even in the books "Ripley's Believe It Or Not " and "100 Things To Do Before You Die".
(Here are some pictures: Marten in the Tavern. Nicolle 'getting drunk' in the Tavern. Jason and Nicolle in the chapel. Karen and Marten at the back of the 6 gabled house.)


Then we went to Sandspit for 2 hours. Oh my, I was hot. It said it was 29 outside but I think the pit was hotter. I was getting ready to have Marten shave my hair off just to get it off my neck. Oh well, the kids had a blast (all 3 of them) :). The only thing I did was the mini golf. I'm not one for rides but it's fun watching them have so much fun.
We had supper at Subway in Cavendish and then splurged on Cow's icecream. Almost $20 for the 4 of us. Yikes! We'll go home next time for icecream.
By the time we got home, it was 9ish. The kids vegged on the couch for a while until it was time for the fireworks. As usual, we went down to the farm but we were joined this year by Tineke and kids, Klaas and Alice and kids, and Alice's brother and family. It was great fun! The fireworks lasted longer this year (almost half an hour). So the kids didn't get in bed til 11 pm but did they sleep in the next morning? .... nope!
Marten continued his little vacation by taking Wednesday off to work on the zip line he's making for the kids. Wow. I think it's 130 feet long. Quite impressive. It's going to be so much fun when it's done. He seeded in grass seed today and he probably has another day needed to finish. Tomorrow, he and David are going over to Carl's for a 4 wheeling trip. He's very excited.
Nicolle and I spent the day at Canoe Cove Christian Camp learning the rules for the new kitchen. We're both working for the Gr2-3 camp (July 13-16) and then I'll be there again at the Gr6-7 camp. So much work but VERY rewarding.
Jason spent the day at Elisabeth's playing with Caleb (Thanks Elisabeth!). Damaris and Caleb are going to come over on Saturday to show us their new and improved swimming skills.

So, that's our exciting week. Hope you are all having as much fun. Love to all, Karen and gang

1 comment:

The Nieuwhofs said...

I saw it earlier but didn't have time to comment. Sorry.
Great trip. I think I saw the bottled houses once, yeaaars ago.
I gues Marten did have a lot of fun four wheeling.
Caleb and Damaris really enjoyed the pool. They want one at home now. Thanks for having them.
Randall.