Friday, September 21, 2007

Grade 6 Adventures

How exciting -- Nicolle is in grade 6 now. She feels pretty important to be in her last year of elementary. She's doing great. She's getting involved in a lot of activities that are very new for her.

For instance, Nicolle has NEVER shown any interest in any sports. We couldn't even convince her to try Soccer this summer (come on... all the kids are doing it!). However, she came home Tuesday night with a notice about flag football. "Can I, Mom? Can I?" What!?!? Well, imagine my surprise and delight. "Well, of course, where and when?" So now, every Monday and Wednesday, 3 - 4:15, Nicolle is in a sport. I think her entire class has joined up. It'll be fun for her and she needs the exercise (don't we all?).

She has also taken up BAND. Yes, another flute player in the family. I wonder if she has Julie's old flute. She's very excited to be like her big cousin. She had a training session Friday (3:45 -7pm) and Saturday (9-12) at Birchwood School in Charlottetown to learn how to take care of it, and she learned 5 notes already. She's all excited and readily practices. Hope that keeps up.

Of course, being in grade 6 is "very grownup". She even has a "boyfriend". Nathan and Nicolle have been "dating" since December '06. Wow! It's OK -- so far, they hardly talk to each other. It's more like "Nathan told Lucas to tell Heather to tell me..." Just the way Mommy likes it. He's given her a few little gifts (necklace, book, ring, journal, bracelet). She gets all giggly when she talks about him -- very cute. It's nice for her self esteem that a boy likes her. VERY important in Grade 6, you know!
As far as being a big sister... She enjoys that Jason is now on the bus with her. She does love him but I think she loves to report on him. "Jason got in trouble on the bus today." "Jason and Taylor got talked to. They were being too rowdy." "Pete stopped the bus today to talk to Jason and Taylor." Yikes, poor Pete, our bus driver. I'll have to talk to Jason, again! Anyway, at home, they play nice together and it's quite pleasant that our children are friends, too.

She also loves to be involved in Church activities. The elementary youth group is starting up soon and we're waiting to hear when it will be. Hopefully not on Monday or Wednesday afternoons. What would I do? I want her to go to both.
Check out her blog site for more insights. Damaris inspired her to create one of her own. She's working on her first blog and hasn't posted it yet. But once published, she'd loved to hear your comments.
The life of a 6th grader... don't you wish you were there again? Ya, I know.... me neither.
However, I love to see Nicolle enjoying it and I pray that she knows that God walks beside her every step of the way. One of my favorite Christian songs is called "Hold On To Jesus" (for He's holding on to you, is the next line). May we never forget that Jesus walks beside us in all circumstances.

5 comments:

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Can anyone tell me why the post on the treefort doesn't have a place for comments? Just wondering. I didn't do anything different than this posting so I'm puzzled.
Thanks!

sugarnuggets said...

Maybe we're not supposed to express our opinions. I will say it's really cool!! No...I don't think there is anything Marten can't build!! Typical Nieuwhof!

I'm glad Nicolle is enjoying Grade 6!! Joe is too! I told you that one day you would wake up and she would not be a little girl anymore!!

It's all good!
Hope you have a great week, Tetcy

Matt n Amanda said...

I was wondering why I couldnt leave you a message. The tree fort sounds so cool and Matt said that Uncle marten always does an awesome job and that it will be more than stonrg enough.
Looks like Nicolle is having a good time in grade 6.
Yes, one of my favourite colours is pink, I have very few pink decorations though. I want Matt to feel at home here and It might be too girly with pink. But my flowers are pink.
Have a great week!
Love Amanda

Andy Rayner said...

Hi Karen & Martin.
Nice tree house- play thingy you folks are building. I was going to comment here but the comments are turned off on that post Karen (Open it to edit it and at the bottom select allow comments) Anyway, loooks real nice. And Karen sorry about the bobo on your finger :-) Ha.
It will be worth the effort I'm sure.
God bless you both

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Andy -- thanks for the tip. I knew it had to be something simple. You'll notice I have a comment spot now.
Have a great day! K