Thursday, November 22, 2007

What's New? ...

Well, to let you all know (because I know you're dying to find out)... our date was quite nice. The company was OK (just joking you guys -- it was great to be with you all). The restaurant was yummy! I think Marten's favorite was the seafood chowder. I enjoyed everything (salads, biscuits, ham, sausage, chicken, chocolate fondue, desserts...). Did I mention it was buffet? Gotta try a bit of everything, right? The 'farm' is considering taking the crew there for the Christmas banquet. What? No Dutch Inn? Apparently the service and food were not good there last year. So we'll try something new.

Marten went to Halifax yesterday with David Andrews. David had to go to recycle some copper and he asked Marten if he wanted to travel with him. Of course, it was a resounding YES! They have so much fun together. The highlight of the trip was a visit to Princess Auto. Marten's never been there and it was quite fun for him. I mentioned before that I wouldn't mind getting a case to organize my makeup. He saw a red tool box for sale and almost bought it for me for that reason. I laughed. Sigh. Men!

Marten and David (and some other guys) are also traveling this weekend to Carl Gallant's for some four wheeling. He lives just this side of Truro. They leave Friday and will be back Saturday night. There a Dutch food show at the Dutch Inn on Saturday that I'm going to and I plan to take the kids to the Christmas Parade on Saturday night.

I'll be travelling to Crapaud tomorrow (whoopee! I get a trip too :P). Mom has to get some blood work done and Dr. Visser is her doctor. Way out in Crapaud. I usually go with her because she can never remember what the doctor tells her.

I've been busy with scrapbooking this week. I haven't touched it in so long. Nicolle got out her albums on Saturday and it inspired me to get started again. It's so much fun. And so rewarding to get a few pages finished. I don't have a little area like Tetcy, so my livingroom is a disaster area right now. I'll clean it up... some time.

We took the kids to a movie last Saturday... Mr. Magorium's Wonder Imporium. (I'm not too sure of the spelling. Can you blame me?) It's about a magical toy store. Very cute and touching. It inspires you to believe in yourself. We hardly ever GO to the movies because we have so many here, so it was a real adventure for the kids. We were going to see The Bee Movie but Jason wasn't excited about that ("It's for babies") so luckily this movie was playing.

In my Wednesday morning bible study, we just finished "How to Develop a Powerful Prayer Life" and we will be starting "A Woman After God's Own Heart" next week. Have any of you read them? I'm sadly negligent in my prayer life and am trying to develop that part of my relationship with God. I'm kinda a one sentence quick prayer throughout the day. I must find the time to stop and dedicate some time to "proper" prayer. We're also challenging each other to fast once a week. That doesn't nessarily mean a day without eating. We're focusing on turning aside from other things that take away our focus on God and interferes with our prayer life to Him. For me, I have chosen a day without snacking between meals and without computer. I spend entirely too much time on this thing - blogging, facebook, games. So every Tuesday, I will not be on the computer to read your blogs. I'll catch up later, OK? I'm also going to memorize a piece of scripture during that time. Last week was Deut. 6:4-9 and this week was II Corin. 12:9-10. Come on... look them up. :)

That's what's new. What's new with you? I love to hear about my favorite people.
I love you all, Karen

4 comments:

rustico3059 said...

I totally agree with you Karen, about our prayer and devotional lif. I know it is so good for me, then why is it so hard to fit into my schedule. That is also what I am teaching in sundayschool right now.I had to admit to my class also about my short comings. I think we really have to pray for a thirst and desire to read God's word, and just make a habit out of it.
Love Elisabeth

The Nieuwhofs said...

I totally agree with both of you. It is so easy to find time for ME things. But somehow it is a lot harder to pray regularely and develop a closer relationship to our Heavenly Father. Way to go. I'll have to work on that too.
Love, Randall.
Oh, about what was new with me?
I had a fun day with Pete and his friends, picking up Pete's new wheels.

Matt n Amanda said...

Arent my parents just so wise? Sounds like life is going great for you. Its too bad you didnt get that make-up organizer. It was quite thoughtful, I might have been cute... but Im imagining a big bulky one... but a little small one would have been cute! hehe. Hope you are having oodles of fun. Where is Pakje night this year.. you should take your scrapbook there... I just love looking at those things. I hope your day is great and I hope that you can keep up with the things you have challenged yourself with. :) Love ya!

Andy Rayner said...

Good Goals Karen. This is why I get up early every day. It's just so easy to let other things fill the day. anyway, In Africa it was always easy. The 5 Mosque's called to prayer at 4:30 Am and then at actual prayer time at 5. It was easy to wake up and start the day and just pray like - well the Muslim do. Two things that work on what to pray for. That is the biggie if one is our of practice.
Is read scripture and ever time something comes to your mind form them stop and pray.
The other helpful one I would suggest is dothe Lord's pryer by lines each day and ask
1. What should I be worshiping and praising you for Gd? Hallowed be thy name" Pray for people and your church to be revived in worship.

2) They Kingdom come - Pray for all the people groups and countries where people live who will never have a viable opportunity to hear about Jesus in their life time. (Check the unreached people thing on my blog for example.)Where is the kingdom not well rooted? certain families, segments of your community? Among natives, French, Immigrants. There are always people who are over looked by the churches, where the kingdom has not come.

3. They will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Pray about everything around us on this planet that is not God will done on earth as it is in heaven. People's marriages, people on drugs, alochol, broken famies, injustices in countries,

Anyway, you get the idea. with more time in prayer we train ourselves to see our world and community from God's eyes, at least a little. Enjoy your journey.
Andy